The Board of Elections employs technicians for all statewide primary and general elections. View our upcoming elections page for the next statewide election dates.
- Troubleshooting voting equipment (including the DS200 ballot scanner and AutoMARK voter assistance terminal;
- Repairing and replacing voting equipment as needed;
- Inspecting the polling place for compliance with all federal and state laws, including voting and disability access requirements;
- Supporting pollworkers with official forms and materials as needed throughout the day;
- Maintaining communication with the Board of Elections regarding any issues or concerns at the polling place;
- Capable of issuing official instructions to polling place staff as directed by the Board of Elections.
- Must be at least 18-years-old;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.;
- Must have a basic level of technical/mechanical ability;
- Must be available to work from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m. or later (if necessary) on election day;
- Must have a valid driver's license;
- Must have a registered and insured vehicle available for use while on-duty;
- Must have a cell phone available for official use while on-duty;
- Must be able to attend an approximately 4 hour training class before the election (usually a held on a Saturday morning or weekday evening);
- Must be able to read and write the English language proficiently (Spanish proficiency may also be required in some locations).
- $450.00 total (which covers training, election day duties, mileage, meals, and cell phone use)
- Active state employees may not work as technicians;
- If you are receiving a retirement benefit from the Employees Retirement System of RI, your benefit may be offset by any compensation you receive for working as a technician.
- You are prohibited from working as a technician if you are legally not permitted to enter any school property or daycare facility.
View our FAQ for additional information.
If you are interested in applying to work as an Election Technician, complete the application and submit it via:
Fax: (401) 222-3135 ATTN Jen Regan
Board of Elections
50 Branch Ave, Providence
ATTN: Jen Regan
Forms snd Documents: