If you wish to register to vote in Rhode Island you must submit a Rhode Island Voter Registration Form.
You can complete the form, print it, and sign it and send it to your local Board of Canvassers for processing.
Check the Upcoming Elections section for important deadlines.
To Complete A Voter Registration Form:
To download a RI Voter Registration Form and print it, click either of the following:
Party Affiliation: Make your selection in Box 9 on the voter registration form, or select "Unaffiliated". If you leave Box 9 blank, you will be registered as unaffiliated.
Please check the registration requirements on the form. Under the federal Help America Vote Act, if you are a first-time applicant for voter registration in Rhode Island and you submit your voter registration form by mail or someone else delivers it for you, you must provide either your valid driver's license number or valid RI ID number issued by the RI Division of Motor Vehicles. If you do not have a valid RI driver's license or RI ID number, you must provide the last 4 digits of your social security number.
If you do not provide this information or your driver's license or social security number cannot be verified, you will be required to present one of the forms of identification listed below at the time of registration, prior to voting or at the time of voting. Non-photo identification must have the voter's name and address on it.
Note these items may be slightly different than identification required under the new state Voter ID law. See our Voter ID Section for that list of acceptable ID.
Forms of Identification:
- State Driver's license or state-issued identification card;
- U.S. Passport;
- Employee identification card;
- Identification card provided by a commercial establishment;
- Credit or debit card;
- Military identification card;
- Student identification card;
- Health club identification card;
- Insurance plan identification card;
- Public housing identification card;or a copy of any of the following documents, provided that the document includes the name and current address of the individual presenting it, and is dated since the date of the last general election, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge:
- Utility bill;
- Bank statement;
- Government check;
- Government paycheck;
- Document issued by a government agency;
- Sample ballot or other official elections document issued by a governmental agency, dated for the election in which the individual is providing it as proof of residency or identity;
- Voter notification card issued by a governmental agency;
- Public housing identification card issued by a governmental agency;
- Lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency;
- Student identification card issued by a governmental agency;
- Tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency;
- Insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a government agency;
- Discharge certificates, pardons, or other official documents issued to the individual by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence; or other matter;
- Public transportation authority senior citizen and disabled discount cards issued by a governmental agency;
- Identification documents issued by governmental disability agencies;
- Identification documents issued by government homeless shelters and other government temporary or transitional facilities;
- Drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider;
- Property tax statement issued by a governmental agency;
- Vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency;
- Vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency.
When you sign the voter registration form, you are taking an oath that you meet the qualification requirements listed on the form.
This is a PDF form and requires the Adobe Reader to be installed on your computer. The Adobe Software can be downloaded for free.
For Registering in a State OTHER than Rhode Island:
- EAC Web site for a State other than Rhode Island
The Election Assistance Commission (EAC) Web site where you may complete a National Voter Registration Form and be provided with the registration requirements and instructions for registering to vote in a state other than Rhode Island.